Registered Charity No. 523369
Kilburn Institute, a registered charity, was built in 1911, mostly of stone. It lies just within the bailiwick of North Yorkshire Moors National Park and the beautiful village of Kilburn.
Kilburn Institute is “held in trust for the purposes of a Village Hall for the use of the inhabitants of Kilburn and the neighbourhood without distinction of sex or of political, religious or other opinions, and in particular for use for meetings, lectures, classes and for other forms of recreation and leisure-time occupation with the object of improving the conditions of life for the said inhabitants”.
In addition to the village pub, which is temporarily closed for renovation following a major fire last year, Kilburn Institute is the focal point of the Kilburn and High Kilburn community. It is increasingly used for entertainment events, often supported by the Rural Arts Program, that are greatly enjoyed by the villagers and visitors. These events also raise much needed funds. Kilburn Institute is regularly used for meetings by local institutions and clubs, such as the Parish Council, Women’s Institute, a thriving table tennis club, a photography club and the Kilburn Feast . Yet greater usage is expected when the hall is brought up to modern standards.
In addition to a Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Secretary, who are voted in annually, the Trust is currently managed by representation from the following local organisations:
The Parochial Church Council of St. Mary’s Kilburn
The Kilburn and Oldstead Women’s Institute
Kilburn Parish Council
Kilburn Feast Committee
Kilburn Institute Social and Sports Society
Currently there is a major refurbishment planned whereby the hall will be extended and new amenities added. This project necessitates a huge fundraising drive and grants are being sought. Plans are available.